Monday, January 2, 2012

Nerd Project Pt. 3: A Hero is born.

This post is long over due. I've neglected my blog since October which I hate. Our blogosphere seems to be wasting away, but such is life. In any case, I'm posting now, and that's what's important.

This project turned out to be one of my favorite costume projects ever. I love this costume. There are things I could've done better, but I can fix it in the years to come. That's how much I like how it turned out.


I'm really happy with how my Hylian shield turned out. I wanted the Triforce to be above the eagle to finish that traditional look, but I don't mind having it below. Some the paint flaked off due to some fooling around, but it's still pretty enough to hang on the wall. I decided I would get a little more elaborate and make the wings out of some poster board. Not as nice as Polycarbonate, but it got the job done.


I'm really happy with the Master Sword. I mixed up what I thought was the perfect shade of blue for it. Added some detail work and then glossed it. The glossing messed up a little bit and I had to go over it a couple of times, but you have to look real close to notice that. The details could've been done better, but I'm still happy with it.


The Scabbard came out better than I expected, thankfully. I wasn't too sure how the paint would affect the paper mache, but it worked out pretty well. I think I would do it differently if I ever did it again, but it wasn't too bad. It was beefy, so it really added to the look where a paper of foam scabbard wouldn't have. The gloss really finished it though. It turned out to be a must. All in all, not the best, but it got the job done. Couldn't ask for more from a shot in the dark.


The actual outfit came out pretty good. Had some help with from my mom with the sewing. (she pretty much did all of it.) Picked up two large V neck shirts at Target, took in the sides of the shirt and put belt loops around a quarter of the way up. I looped my belt through those and the actual loops on my pants. It turned out pretty well. The other shirt was used to make the hat. I had to stuff the end of it to give it the look, but that wasn't too bad. I was pretty happy with it. I took some old soccer shin guards, spray painted them brown, attached them to some old black socks and used them as bracers. I didn't have any leather boots that reached up to my knees, so I had to buy some fake boot tops. IT got the job done. Not the best, but not the worst either. I wouldn't mind wearing this to Comic con or some cosplay thing to complete this nerdy quest!


Showed off my awesome costume at the Trunk or Treat at church. My truck is supposed to be Link's horse Epona from Ocarina of Time. I originally had my candy in the wooden chest, but the kids didn't know I was passing out candy, so they kept walking right by. I needed to put more time into the car. I Wanted it to look like a weapons shop. I don't think anyone got it. Oh well. I was too happy about being the Hero of Time anyway!

Pretty much my best Halloween costume ever! I think the only way I can out do myself is by making my self a set of Halo ODST armor and weapons for next year! That's something I've always wanted to do too....

No comments: