Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ridiculous

I have a love/hate relationship with book stores. On the one hand, I love reading. Reading is just awesome, and there is no better place to find books then at the bookstore. On the other hand, I always end up spending a ton of money so there's the hate part. So I was perusing the Christian non-fiction book section when a particular book caught my eye. A book that had a title that sounded particularly ridiculous to me. "Understand the bible in 24 hours it read". A couple of things immediately popped into my mind. Firstly, no one can hope to understand the bible in it's entirety in 24 hours. That is a feat Jack Bauer can't even accomplish. (Sorry Jack, you can do amazing things, but that would be a miracle) The Bible is an amazing book in that you cannot and will not pick up every little meaning and idea and such and such the first time you read through it. That goes to show for every single verse and chapter in the whole book. (In my humble opinion) There are so many little subtleties that it very well may take a life time or more to find and understand them all. The bible provides you with something new and beautiful and different every time you read through it. I dare say the bible will never completely be understood by any mere individual ever!
Secondly, I just wondered why would some one go out of there way to publish something like that? Why would someone bother to buy that even!? Well, considering the way people go about their lives today, it's not really a surprise. Today, everything is geared around getting things done and getting them done fast. We need to keep moving 'cause we are always in a hurry. We need things to help us get stuff done faster and to make it much easier on those of us who live in the fast lane. That is ridiculous in itself. You miss out on so much of life by speeding past it all. It's very much like speeding down a beautiful scenic road. There is so much beautiful scenery, but it's all a blur because you're moving way to fast. How much of the bible are you going to miss out on if you try to understand it all in a day? Part of reading the bible is quieting yourself, slowing down, and letting God whisper to you his greatness. How do you expect to do that with a roaring engine and the wind whipping past you?

5 comments:

Jillian said...

I agree. That is beyond impossible for any human.

Padfoot240 said...

Just because you understand it, doesn't mean you know everything about it.

For example, you can understand your cell phone, but not know every little bit of code or hardware in it, how it was made, and what it does.

I agree with what you are saying, but I don't think that's what the book's title was implying. However if it is implying that, lets burn it.

Cory said...

I didn't read through it entirely but I think in both instances that you mentioned kev, it would still be quite ridiculous. I am pretty sure that isn't what they were getting at (I didn't really read the whole thing) but the title just stuck out to me.

Team Parks: Jason and Kristin said...

You are learning young padawan!

Cory said...

Thank you master. I try really really hard.