Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shanah Tovah!

Today marks the first day (starting at sun down of today) of the Jewish high holiday, Rosh Hashanah(heb.:head of the year) I'm pretty interested in Jewish tradition (I guess that explains why I'm minoring in Jewish studies) so I figured I would blog about it. Rosh Hashanah is a celebration of the birth of the world. It's supposed to be a happy time, but begins a 10 day period of self-examination ending with Yom Kippur, the Day of atonement. It is a time for renewal, where one looks back on the past year and figures what they can do better on. I've always relished the prospect of self-examination, so I figured this would be right up my alley.

Lord knows this last year was pretty crazy. There are plenty of things I screwed up on that I wish I hadn't. There are even some things I wish I could go back and change. I can't say that I say that often about anything because I believe there is a lesson to be learned from everything, regardless of how tough and terrible it was. Rosh Hashanah isn't about that though. It's about starting over and approaching the new year as a blank slate. It's time to celebrate! This upcoming year has all new surprises in store for all of us!

It's hard to step back sometimes and realize living is a gift in and of itself. Just being able to see the coming of a new year should be cause for celebration. To reflect on your life this past year, regardless of how crummy it could've been is a blessing. Personally, its just understanding and realizing how I've encountered my Creator and what I can do better in the year to come.

I love setting goals for myself. This past year, I said I would go on more adventures. I can safely say I got a good number of adventures under my belt, especially this summer! I think this year it will be less about adventure and more about slowing down and appreciating what God has given me. Also, understanding how I have been blessed with great friends and family, regardless if the former may be in shorter supply than usual.

It's going to be fun injecting a little more Jewishness into my life with this period of self-examination. I'm not really going to go and practice any dietary laws though...In any case, Shanah Tovah! A good year to everybody!

2 comments:

Denise said...

I'm gonna do some reflecting and goal setting too. Maybe even make some non-dance-related goals...

Cory said...

Well awesome! Mazel Tov! I'm just finding excuses to use Hebrew now.