Tuesday, October 2, 2007

But It's cool, man...

Yes, I stold it from Jason, but I'll get to that in a bit. He's always got something good to say so I thought I'd claim some of his wisdom and apply it here. Surprisingly, life is good. In this little experimental phase I've been going through, I never figured things would start working out so soon. Awhile a go I was just sitting here in this chair taking in the feeling and thinking "man, I'm completely calm, I'm completely at ease." It's a weird thing really. I've been stressing all this school business and how my life isn't the way I want it and how I have been neglecting my bible and all that business. I've been taking baby steps since then. It's an experimental phase, I didn't expect it to work. Life is tough. It's hard to get back up after a big fall. Holding onto that fall is probably the worst part about the whole deal.

I've been reading this book written by a Native American Shaman or should I say "medicine man" called The Wind is my Mother. It really isn't what I expected. At this point in the book (the point I will be sharing with you) he is speaking about how we can some times hold onto these things in our lives that will hamper us and keep us from going any further. Things like a big fall like I talked about earlier. "The way my people take care of something that we're not happy with is to honor it and say, "thank you, you've taught me a lesson." If it's anger, if it's hate, if it's a drinking problem: "boy, you've been with me for a long time. Now I'm going to try something else. But I want to thank you for teaching me something about myself." Never try to just get rid of it. You can't, it's too strong, it's too embedded. Instead, honor it and say "thank you."" I claim that as truth. Somethings can't just be tossed off. Something you have to really come to grips with and figure it out. I'm dealing with this because there is something I need to learn from this. It's isn't punishment, it's a lesson.

Continuing with the book: " If you fill that space with something else, what you're doing is employing the law of physics that says no two things can occupy the same space at the same time. So get it out and put something else in. If you've got a negative, put a positive in. they can't both be in the same place at the same time. Clean it all out." That makes sense to me. Just sitting down and reading this book most of my free time has just really changed me. Not mainly because of the great words in it, but because I'm not stressing about some school work or tearing my hair out about some problem. It's a lot like painting and doodling with me. Life sucks, It is so unfair and it doesn't go your way at all. You are always suffering and you are always getting the shorter end of the stick...But it's cool, man. It's nothing. There is something deeper and it's out there calling us to join in. Something so awesome that it can blot out all of these petty little problems. It is small and big at the same time. It's the moment's reprieve. the little lit candle that can sever the oppressive darkness of a room. That's what I'm feeling. Sure, I won't feel this way all the time. Some big ol' problem can come along and smash all of this to pieces and bring me down, But it's cool man, 'cause things are going my way.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

That was really insightful. The book is right... it's never good to hold on to past troubles so long that they hold us down, but it's also never good to just forget they ever happened. if we did that then we'd all be making the same mistakes over and over again. good things are comin'.

Anonymous said...

Life has ups and downs. I once read a book that talked about attitude and how that is pretty much...life. You will be brought down only because you LET it bring you down. Sure, I'm sure major events like death and such will definitely be a downer no matter how you feel about it. But there are times when you do have that decision. Something crappy happens to you. You can complain, moan, and feel sorry for yourself and you won't make yourself happier in the end anyway and everyone feels crappy. Or you can try to move on, and totally do something about it to relieve yourself of the said situation.

It's all attitude, son.

Jillian said...

That book sounds awesome. It's true that there is stuff that's embedded in you and you can't just ignore it. You have to learn from it. I never thought about it like that. Thanks for sharing that Cory.